- 1 large sweet onion, chopped into large pieces (1/2 to 1 inch)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 7 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 1 large yellow squash, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 small handful fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over low to medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the onions start to get clear.
Add tomatoes and cook for about 10 minutes until some liquid starts to develop from the tomatoes. (At this point I like to just mash up the tomatoes a bit with my spoon adding to the liquid but still leaving the tomatoes chunky).
Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and let simmer for a minimum of 20 minutes. (You can let it cook for up to an hour, stirring occasionally. The longer it cooks the better the flavor will be. Best if you can let it sit in the refrigerator overnight before serving).
You can add more salt, pepper, or olive oil according to your taste.
Makes approximately 4 to 5 bowls of soup.