Wednesday, September 28, 2011

recipe: CHAMPAGNE OREGANO ORANGE CHICKEN AND POTATOES

I actually made this recipe when I found myself with left over mimosa ingredients one Sunday!  My philosophy is, "waste not, want not."  The blend of champagne, oranges and oregano gives a unique taste that is sweet and savory at the same time.  And with the addition of the potatoes you have an instant meal!  Check it out...
 

 

 

 
INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 - 3 lb chicken cut into 1/8ths
  • 3 red skin potatoes
  • 1 sweet onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 cup champagne
  • 2 small oranges
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon fresh oregano

INSTRUCTIONS:
Preheat oven to 375.

Wash chicken and place in a large baking dish.  (I like to take a tiny bit of extra virgin olive oil and coarse salt and rub it directly on the chicken before I do anything else.  I find that this makes the meat extra tender and fall off the bone.  This is optional step and this amount of olive oil and salt would be in addition to the amounts listed above.)

Cut potatoes into cubes and place in baking dish with the chicken.  Cut onions into bite size pieces and place in baking dish (I like to spread the onion evenly over the chicken and potatoes.  I cut them into bit size pieces because they are delicious to eat along with everything else once they've cooked!).

Chop the garlic.  Peel the orange.  Place both in the blender.  Add champagne, olive oil, salt and pepper to the blender.  Blend all the items together.  Pour this "sauce" over the chicken, onions and potatoes. 

Sprinkle the oregano over everything. 

Cover the baking dish tightly with foil.  Place in the oven.  (Placing the foil over the baking dish will help to lock in moisture and flavor.  If you want the chicken to brown a little and the skin to be a little bit crispy you can remove the foil for the last 20 to 30 minutes of cook time.)

Cook times will vary on how large your chicken is.  It is recommended to cook a chicken for about half an hour per pound.  So if you have a 3 lb chicken then you should bake it for approximately 1 1/2 hours.


If you are cooking for one, then this is the perfect thing to make on Sunday and eat all week.  Just store the cooked chicken in the refrigerator in some sort of sealed container or in a dish cover with foil or plastic wrap.  It will be good to eat for about 4 days.  To give you some ideas, here is how I usually divide the chicken over the course of the week:
  • 1st night - I eat a breast and a bunch of potatoes.
  • Next morning - I reheat the rest of the potatoes and have them with an egg for breakfast.
  • Lunch - Use the leg and thigh for sandwich meat.  I take the skin off and break up the meat into small pieces, use some sprouted grain bread, add avocado or tomato if I have it, and mustard and mayo.
  • One more lunch or dinner during the week - I eat the other breast and the wings.
  • One last lunch or dinner during the week - I will either make another sandwich from the remaining leg and thigh or I will add them to a salad for protein.

 
Just because you are a single gal (or guy) doesn't mean you can't make a gorgeous, healthy dish.  You just have to get creative with how you eat it!


GTBB,
Bad Joan

 

6 comments:

  1. This looks delicious, I love cooking. Thanks for sharing :)

    http://victoriasprocrastinationproject.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    xx Kaye
    Fashion Blogger
    http://thestyleflux.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh you have such a cute blog darling :))

    please vote for me by liking my photo on this link:

    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150310737991219&set=a.10150310737876219.336775.304442071218&type=1&theater

    that would mean so much to me :)) puss puss and huggs from

    combo-monster.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty blog :D
    I'm following you ^^
    Follow me too ^^

    http://thefashionbook1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi joan! this looks delicious!! and i just love the name too! hope your weekend is fabulous!! ;)
    xoxo ~ kristina

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. I am grateful to you and expect more number of posts like these. Thank you very much. oregano oil australia

    ReplyDelete